Mixing Old and New

I've mentioned before I use to oil paint but gave it up, mainly because I was too lazy to deal with the cleanup (seriously) and when I painted I mostly painted landscapes sometimes wildlife and if I was using water colors, floral.  My most recent quilt is a return to my love of landscapes.

Mountain Scene Quilt
After I knew what direction I wanted to go in I looked to both Mary Stanley's lake quilt and Mickey Beebe's Eichler Homes quilts for design direction.  They were a great starting point for this stylized modern geometric quilt.  I spray basted this quilt, which I loved!  It was the first time I spray basted such a large project.  I also tried out a new (new to me) quilt design.

Mountain Scene Quilting Detail

Mountain Scene Quilting Detail
I really like how the quilting on this project turned out.  I have to admit that I marked out the "sky" pattern before quilting and used a walking foot but it went quickly, despite turning my machine's speed all the way down to the slowest setting.  Quilting has never been my strongest quilty skill.  I also decided to piece the back using a print from Tula Pink's Chipper line.
Mountain Scene Back
I had my helper with me for my quilt pictures today.  I wanted to call this picture Mama's Little Helper but the Rolling Stones kind of ruined that phrase...


In addition to finishing up this quilt I've been designing some new blocks.  One is a plus block with a bevel and the second is a Popsicle inspired by a promo email sent out by Craftsy.com




I definitely need to fine tune the Popsicle block but that's the general idea.  My sister in law even suggested that when they are all laid out in a quilt there should be one Popsicle with a bite out of it; too cute I might be willing to applique a bite

Finally, I need to go back to working on my double wedding ring quilt.  I don't have too many WIP's but this one is so easy to put down for whatever reason.  Ok, I know the reason it's pretty intense piecing.  No Excuses!

This quilt is entered in the Blogger Quilt Festival hosted by Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side

Comments

  1. I found this quilt on flickr and I think it is a lovely interpretation on the "Moon Over Mountains" theme. Lovely use of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your Mountain Scene Quilt!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Do you have a pattern for it?

    Best, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I don't have a pattern but I'd be willing to put a layout with measurements what templates I used, and fabric colors on my site. I wish I could give you a time frame for that but I've got a few projects going right now and a different pattern I'm writing but maybe in the fall after some of the quilt shows are over. Again thank you for you kind comments I am very pleased with this quilt and it makes me smile when I look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a gorgeous quilt and a fun take on a landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely quilt! I just love the abstracted take on a landscape quilt. Beautiful colors too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel! This quilt means so much to me I'm glad you enjoy it.

      Delete

Post a Comment