It Never Rains but It Pours Quilt News

There's been no end to the quilt news coming in this week, a new quilt along, quilt show acceptance, a magazine feature.  So much to share so I'm just going to jump in.

I'm teaming up with my good friend Christa Watson,, to host a quilt along starting in September.  I designed the Infrastructure quilt for Christa's new fabric line Geo Pop and am so excited to be working with Christa again.  I'll be making a version of the quilt in the new Benartex Superior Solids and Christa will be using her fabrics.  
If you're interested in getting a head start Christa has kits available on her website and we both have patterns available for sale in our shops.  There will be more information about the quilt along and the fabulous giveaway as we get closer to September.

Next up I have some quilt show news.  Earlier this week I found out that my quilt, Banner Day, will be part of the 2019 Modern Quilt Guild Showcase at the International Quilt Festival in Hou…

Spokane Area Workshops Now Open

Washington State Quilters in Spokane have asked me to teach two workshops in July, Modern Drunkard's Path and Secrets of Modern Half-Rec Triangles, Triangles, and Diamonds.  Registration is now open to non-WSQ members!  Fill out the registration form and follow the directions to sign up for one of the workshops.

The Modern Drunkard's Path workshop goes through the basics of curve piecing to more complicated designs involving curves.  My Jawbreaker pattern is included in the cost of the workshop and I offer acrylic templates for sale but they are not required for this workshop.

Secrets of Modern Half-Rec Triangles, Triangles and Diamonds workshop Goes through how to update triangle quilts into a contemporary modern design using the Tri-Recs Tool.  My Diamonds On Display pattern is included in the cost of the workshop and if you don't have the Tri-Recs Tool there will be templates available to purchase at the workshop.

I know that the classes are near full so if you are int…

Bird Watching Quilt

I finished up a new quilt, my Bird Watching quilt, (40" x 48").

Earlier this month I got an email form the Audubon Society, no I'm not a bird watcher but I do like to identify birds I've never seen before from time to time, and in the that email was a picture of a Bohemian Waxwing which caught my attention instantly.  What struck me first from the picture was the color palette followed by the angel of the feathers on the Waxwing wings.

Originally I was going to hand quilt this design, so I made it 40" x 48" but after I completed the top I realized that 40" x 48" is not a small quilt.  In the end I decided machine quilt the top.

This design is a bit different for me so I decided to try out some new quilting.  The more I quilted the top the more it reminded me of the back of playing cards.  With that in mind I added some flouncy border motifs in the blue sections to capture that feel.  Even though it was scary to try something new I think the end re…

Modern by the Yard Cover

At the beginning of the year I had several deadlines, four in fact all due before QuiltCon in February, and now that the latest issue of Modern by the Yard e-zine is out I can finally share my Follow the Leader quilt!!

Click HERE for the free pattern/e-zine

My Follow the Leader quilt features Christa Watson's newest fabric line with Benartex Contempo Studio, Abstract Garden.  I love Christa's playful prints and that each of her lines coordinate with the other previous lines.  The background on this quilt are grey prints from her Fandangle fabric collection.

This design is fat quarter friendly and is 100% compatible with one of my favorite templates, the Tri-Rec tool!  I wish I would have remembered to take more pictures before sending the quilt to Benartex.  I did manage to get a quick shot of the quilt top.  I can't help but smile when I see all those bright cheerful colors.

I hope you will take a moment and check out the latest issue of Modern by the Yard.  It's comp…

Quick Quilt News

School is out and believe it or not that means I have more time to quilt but before the school year wrapped up I made a mini quilt for my daughter's teacher.  CoraJoan picked the subject and helped with the fabric choices.  I raw edge appliqued, my kind of applique, the rainbow and hand quilted the details using Aurifil floss.  CoraJoan picked the pastels and the background fabric.  I can't thank Mrs Simpson enough for two wonderful years as CoraJoan's teacher.
I also found out that my little Chaotic House mini won 18th place in the Quilt Expo Modern Mini Quilt Challenge!  Placing second to last might not seem glamorous but I did win a new ruler rack and I'm always looking for a better way to organize my sewing room.  Unfortunately, part of me knows the only way to solve all my storage 'needs' is to have a bigger room but since that can't happen I'll take what I can get.

I received more great news this week when I found out two of my quilts have bee…