Finally Getting Somewhere

Last August I bought Alison Glass's Handcrafted 2 fabric line and decided to make a double wedding ring with it, see earlier post.  I got right to cutting my pieces and then I set the project aside but I've recently been motivated to finish it.  A couple things prodded me along, positive feedback on Instagram after posting my WIP for #igquiltfest and I finished Peaks + Horizons so quickly.

I had to layout my dwr pieces before I could start to sew.  Since my design wall wouldn't fit more than 4 x 5 of the centers I have more layout work to do, the final quilt will be 5 x 6 centers.



After several sewing sessions, today I finished the first layout.  I haven't joined the columns together because I need to add another center to the bottom of each but it's definitely getting there.


I like the feel of this quilt so far.  It kind of reminds me of graffiti.  I'm really happy that I'm finishing this project, finally.  I've already been investigating ways to quilt this and am setting the goal of one center a day, we'll see.  Another good reason to finish this quilt is Alison Glass's Handcrafted Patchwork fabric line just came out and I purchased a 1/2 yard bundle so it's time to wrap this up.

On a different note, I did finish a quilt top and just wasn't happy with it, completely reminiscent of Moving Links.  I can't put my finger on it but I just don't like this quilt top.  I'll set it aside for now, maybe if I return with fresh eyes it'll look better to me.


Finally, along with Alison Glass's new Handcrafted line I'm really excited about Latifah Saafir new fabric line with Me+You (a division of Hoffman Fabrics, I believe).  I was so inspired by Latifah Saafir's Neon and Neutral clam shell quilt I'm sure her fabric deign will be great!  I've also been impressed with what I've seen from Me+You.

Comments

  1. Hopefully you'll see this; I know it's an older post!

    On the quilt you're not happy with, I'd play around with two vertical strips, one on the left going from the red rectangle up to the yellow and white horizontal strips (or maybe right up to the aqua donut) and the other on the right going from the yellow and white horizontal strips up to the pink (or red? hard for my old eyes to tell) rectangle, or maybe to the left of the pink/red rectangle.

    Or maybe just the vertical strip on the left -- you won't know until you play around with it. For colors, I see too much tan in there, but I'm not a tan kind of person. What about vertical strips made of text fabrics and/or gray, white, and black? That would add a lot of interest and pick up the colors from your circles. It could be skinny rectangles, small squares, HSTs...as always with quilting, the sky's the limit!

    These might not be useful suggestions to you at all, but sometimes when someone makes a suggestion, it helps you go off on a tangent to then come up with a solution you love.

    Good luck with all your projects -- you sure do get a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the input. I do like the idea of incorporating a text or print of some sort. I love prints believe it or not most of my stash are prints but I seem to design and make with solids. I agree, I'm not a huge tan fan but I wanted to use tan with the neon yellow, ah-la Latiffa Shaffir, but I don't think it added anything to this design. Again I appreciate the input and will consider your comments when I go back to this design - Heather

      Delete

Post a Comment