Kantha Project for Aurifil Artisan Challenge

In March Aurifil asked their Aurifil Artisans to complete a project using a Kantha stitch.  I was excited to try out some hand sewing but I wasn't sure what type of project I wanted to do.  When I looked up Kantha stitching I found out that women in India would use the stitch to sew together multiple layers of old saris to make cushions and garments from.  I wasn't about to make a garment but I was drawn to the idea of sewing layers together and settled on a fabric collage.

Fabric Collage by Heather Black

I started by pulling fabrics from my scrap drawers and tried to pick fabrics that had texture and a natural feel.  I also knew I wanted to use an Anna Marie Horner print and fussy cut this bird for the feature print.  I even found a bit of stripe fabric with the selvage left on it that I fell in love with.

Fabric Collage by Heather Black

It took me over an hour to get all the fabrics selected and another chunk of time getting them arranged.  I knew right off I wanted a darker background with lighter elements layered on top and when I was all done I decided at the last minute to add a bit of Hobbs wool batting between the dark purple and light purple.

Aurifil 12 wt Thread

I picked out a couple Aurifil 12 wt threads, yellow-green and a black, that I knew would be a perfect fit with this project.  I really like the texture of the 12 wt it adds interest and is so easy to work with.  I'd done a little bit of hand quilting, my first quilt, and embroidery so I set out to create a mixture of the Kantha stitch and some fun decorative stitches.

Fabric Collage by Heather Black


The bottom of the collage uses the long organic lines of a Kantha stitch and on the top of the collage I chose to mimic the Anna Marie Horner print with free form x's and I used the black thread to enhance the flower in the top left.  The Aurifil 12 wt adds the right amount of texture and detail to the collage.

Fabric Collage by Heather Black

I really enjoyed working on this project.  I was able to finish it all in a day, from fabric pull to mounting, and really fell in love with the creative experience.  Since being cooped up I've had a hard time finding my creativity.  I think I've been focusing so much on adjustment and finding a routine but it was a huge blessing to just stop trying to figure my day out and to start making.  It's really encouraged me to make time for my quilting.

I hope everyone is staying safe and has had a chance to find a new, temporary, normal in their day.  I've been praying for our country and hope this time will pass quickly for us all.









"Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.  Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." 
Philippians 2:1-4

Comments

  1. I really love the selvage that is still on the striped fabric, Heather. I'm doing well and doing my best to stay cozy; I hope you are as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're doing good. CoraJoan and I are enjoying our time at home. She even said she like my teaching better than school, which made my heart smile.

      Delete
  2. Really cute and decorative. I love that you mounted and framed the work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danice! I'm glad I did too. I have it hanging up in my entryway right now, it's a good feeling to decorate with my own handmade things.

      Delete
  3. oh this is sweet. I love that selvage too and especially those free form Xs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! It was my first time doing those x's. I think the hardest part for me is making sure they aren't uniform but have just enough randomness. It take alot of thought to make that carefree look.

      Delete

Post a Comment