My First Fabric Line - Sketchbook for Paintbrush Studio Fabrics!

I've been doing many behind the scene things this year and not much quilt making.  Some of the projects I've been working on include writing a book, magazine sewing and something I've been dying to share... designing my first fabric line, Sketchbook!

PBS Fabric Sketchbook by Heather Black

I started dreaming about designing fabric about 2 1/2 years ago.  I played around in Photoshop and researched how to make repeats but besides that I just jumped in to experimenting with textile design.  After designed an entire collection, not this one, I set it aside I got wrapped up in my first book, and about a year ago I sat down to design again.

Sketchbook Swatches

I had design and made my quilt, Swatches, and was drawn to the black outlines I'd quilted around the pink swatch blocks in the quilt.  I wanted to translate that into a fabric design so I set out designing prints that had a sketched out feeling.  This is especially obvious in the panel.  I designed the panel to be used as a panel or large print.  I am, personally, excited to cut up the panel in the sample quilts.

Sketchbook strike offs

After designing the collection I had no idea how to go from my computer to submitting my designs.  I decided to print out a flyer of my designs and take them with me to Quilt Market back in November.  I passed out my flyers, met a few people, and flew home.  After a couple weeks I followed up with the companies I'd talked to and I heard from none of them.  By the time QuiltCon came around I had decided to move on from fabric design and then I met the people and Paintbrush Studio Fabrics.  They were so kind and said they'd take a look at my designs.  A fast forward several weeks and they got back to me that they wanted to partner together to produce my Sketchbook designs!

Sketchbook Strike Offs

Along with my fabric designs I also designed two quilts for this collection, Sketchbook Sampler and Topsy Turvy.

Sketchbook Sample Quilt

Sketchbook Sampler will be offered for free on the Paintbrush Studio Fabrics website with the release of the fabric line.  I really worked hard on a design that will appeal to all kinds of quilters but at the same time showcase each print.  I think this sampler quilt is perfect for that.

Topsy Turvy Quilt

The second quilt is Topsy Turvy.  This pattern will be available to purchase in my shop.  This pattern is more me for sure.  I love the whimsical effect of the circles and arcs and how the blocks feel as if they are floating above the background.

Heather Black - Quiltachusetts


The collection is available through Paintbrush Studio Fabrics as of August 1st, 2020 for shops to pre-order and as of right now will begin to ship in early fall.  I've only seen the strikes off in person so I'm looking forward to getting some yardage to work with.  I hope everyone has enjoyed the background story of how I got into fabric designing and my first fabric collection.  I'm looking forwarded to more opportunities in this industry.  I will have have more posts to come and of course I'll be showing the finished quilts, Sketchbook Sampler and Topsy Turvy!







"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!" Psalm 27:13-14

Comments

  1. How wonderful to have a fabric line! Congratulations are in order for sure! The fabrics are lovely and I look forward to their release in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vivian!! When the fabric starts shipping I should have more information on what shops will be carrying the line.

      Delete
  2. How exciting for you! I think your line reflects you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! I just got some sample yardage and am so excited to start working with it.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I think that panel would also make a really cool quilt back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I totally agree, I wanted to make a panel that would double as a large print and had quilt backs in mind.

      Delete
  4. This is all so exciting for you, Heather! It's been interesting to watch your development from making quilts, to longarm quilting, to pattern design, author, and now fabric designer. I hope you aren't still trying to work full time too! No doubt you'll feel pressure to design and make with your fabrics, once yardages arrive. Have good playtime and enjoy this new phase of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just purchased Charisma 's quilt pattern using your fabric. I love both the fabric & the pattern! Can I ask where I can purchase the fabric? Thank you. Vicki J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, Very exciting, Charisma did an amazing job designing a quilt. The fabric is shipping to shops in October. As soon as it is available I will be posting a list where the fabric is available and I will also be selling it in my shop. Following my blog and/or Instagram account will be the best way to stay updated. Thanks!!

      Delete

Post a Comment