Catalyst Quilt for Make Modern Magazine

I haven't had too many quilts to share this year but I have been working behind the scenes and I finally get to share one of those quilts, my Catalyst quilt for Make Modern Magazine. 

 

I was initially inspired by the colorful resistors on a circuit board and set out to design a quilt with striped blocks.  By the time I finished I realized the blocks didn't look much like resistors but I liked the the heightened energy of the design from the mix of stripes and red.  Thankfully my own verbiage, heightened energy and mix, lead me to a quilt title that made sense, Catalyst.


I decided to mat ch quilt this design with slightly skewed lines since there was already so much going on in the top .  This type of quilting added a great texture without distracting from the overall look of the quilt.  I used the same thread and color throughout, Aurifil Forty3.

 

This quilt is currently available as a pattern in issue #36 of Make Modern Magazine and in addition to my pattern, Jane. at Make Modern, asked me a few questions and wrote an article about my quilting journey.


I finished this quilt back in early July.  It was a beautiful time of year.  Spokane saw a rainy cool Spring and most of Summer has been very temperate.  All this water and moderate temperate lead to a beautifully green and lush Little Spokane River Valley.  The colors of the day and light were perfect for quilt pictures.

 

What I love about this quilt is even though there is plenty of movement and energy in this quilt there are only 4 different blocks.  I also can see this design done scrappy or with a slight color palette adjustment for a patriotic quilt.  I used Painter's Palette Solids by Paintbrush Studios for my version.  These are definitely my go to solids.


If you are interested in making this quilt or making it with your own personal touches I encourage you to subscribe to Make Modern Magazine.  It is an e-zine and always is packed full of great contemporary to modern quilt patterns.


Lastly, I know many of you are curious about the wildfires and how to help out.  Thankfully Spokane has not had any our of the ordinary fire hazards this year but many in the Pacific Northwest have, for a myriad of reasons.  I would like to recommend donating to Samaritan's Purse if you are looking for a way to help out.




"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease." Genesis 8:22

"He (Jesus) is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.  For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.  And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist." Colossians 1:15-17

Comments

  1. It's just wonderful to see how your designs have evolved, and how the quilting world has embraced your creations. Your designs are so fresh, and completely modern. Of course everyone would want to interview and read about you, to know how you do - so well! - what you do! I'm happy for you to be recognized as a leader in the modern quiltmaking community. That recognition is deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda. I've been charting a new course lately so I really appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. I have just finished reading my 'copy' of the magazine and was thinking this is a pattern I am keen to try - thanks for providing something different for us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting to hear. I hope you will share pictures on Instagram or Facebook when you do. It's a fun quilt to make especially since there are only 4 blocks that you mix up to get that energetic movement.

      Delete
  3. What an intriguing design and your mix of colors is really striking. I like the quilting design you chose for this one - let's the quilt design really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, It's different than my typical designs but I really enjoyed working with all those reds.

      Delete

Post a Comment