Random Design Influence

I don't know how this happens but I the 90's keep creeping into my designs, which is funny because I don't have the fondest memories of the 1990's, I did meet my late husband in 1997 but that was probably the highlight of the decade for me.  My latest quilt is inspired by and old Panasonic stereo I had in junior high and thanks to a quick google search here it is.



In particular, I was inspired by the audio mixing controls and I couldn't even begin to tell you why.  That being said, I set out to design a quilt.  I chose a bright color palette from my the solids in my stash but wasn't satisfied with my design until I rotated it 90º counter clockwise and added a white border.  My Balance & Fade quilt is definitely bright and cheerful.

Balance & Fade

If you're able to rotate this picture clockwise 90º you can see my original design.  I also used a combination of straight lines to quilt this design and I added an accent thread color in the pink and blue.  For this accent I used Aurifil thread 28wt.  Most of my quilting is done in Aurifil 40wt and I load my bobbin with 50wt.


Balance & Fade

 As you can see I snuck in a couple prints for this project and as stated above I used stash fabric to make the top, fulfilling two of my quilty resolutions this year, use prints more and use my stash more.

Balance & Fade

I just love the impact of a high contrast color palette and even used it in another design featuring fabric I had printed at Spoonflower.com.  It's going to be a challenge to execute this design because it involves applique and, ah, I don't do that often.  Ok, I can count the times I've appliqued on one hand but I hope I can pull it off.


One last picture in closing.

Balance & Fade in Montana





Popular Posts