QuiltCon Part One: My Quilts

Whew, QuiltCon is over.  I definitely spent the first day in a haze and the rest of the time in a whirlwind.  I'm not really sure what I said and who I talked to the first two or so hours of the show.  The first event on my schedule was the reward ceremony where it was announced that my quilt Urban Trek won a FIRST PLACE ribbon in the Use of Negative Space category.  Check out all the winners on the QuiltCon website.

All QuiltCon ribbons are hand made by Nicole Daksiewicz (Modern Handcraft)

I enter every show with my fingers crossed that I might win a ribbon but I never allow myself to get my hopes up, this is especially true of QuiltCon.  For the past three years I've had quilts at QuiltCon and each year I see all the amazing talent out there submitting beautiful quilts and think there's just no way a ribbon is in my future.  This year I was mistaken.

Urban Trek - QuiltCon 2018 1st Place Use of Negative Space
  
I'm so thankful to Vivika at Modern Patchwork for publishing this design almost exactly a year ago.  It was a tight deadline and that created the pressure I needed to take some risks with my quilting.  Also, I never realized how hard it is to get a ribbon, quilt and myself all in a picture.  Urban Trek will also be part of the Best of QuiltCon traveling exhibit for 2018.

Heather Black - Urban Trek - QuiltCon

Along with Urban Trek I had four other quilts in the show: Misprint, Lemon Drops, Clambake and Lost in Oz.

Misprint
Lemon Drops
Clambake
Lost in Oz

In addition to the quilts in the show I had a quilt on display in the Curated Quilts booth.  The ladies at Curated Quilts were so friendly and for various reasons I ended up at their booth several times at the show so we got to chat a few times.

Typewriter Ribbon

One of the scarier moments of the show was the in person MQG mini swap.  It was great to meet my swap partner, Alejandro, and to receive the quilt she made for me.

MQG Mini Swap

It really is challenging to make a quilt keeping another person's like and dislikes in mind.  I think Alejandro did an amazing job!

Swap Quilt

Finally the last of my quilts to be part of my QuiltCon experience is Modern Stepping Stones.  The MQG had a book signing for all the artists in their new book and I was fortunate enough to have Modern Stepping Stones included in the book.  The signing was a blast and it was great to put faces to the artist behind these amazing quilts.

Modern Stepping Stones - Modern Quilts Designs for a New Century

That's a round up of all my quilts at QuiltCon.  Thank you do much for coming with me on this journey and for all the support I've received over the years.  



My next post will feature even more from QuiltCon!










"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed His love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." 1 John 4:7-10

Comments