Modern Minimalism

At the end of 2017 I completed a quilt for submission to Curated Quilts Issue 3: Minimalism.

Faux Hare Fair

Quilts that are minimalist will have large areas of negative space and rely on balance and color, or lack of, to carry the design.  There are so many amazing modern quilts that can be categorized as modern minimalism.  If you would like to see more examples of modern minimalism I recommend checking out the new MQG book.

My design inspiration for this design came from a pom pom key fab I bought from J. Crew. (pictures courtesy of J. Crew)





I was instantly drawn to the colors and proportions of each color.  The pom pom also reminded me of the rabbit feet key chains I used to see at the county fair and came up with the name Faux Hare Fair.  Thankfully I haven't seen too many rabbit feet for sale in the last 25 years.

Faux Hare Fair

For the quilting I kept the background simple with 1/2" horizontal lines.  I tried 1/4" lines but it was too distracting and took them out.  Speaking of taking out quilting.  The first attempt to quilt the pink section with an orange peel didn't go so well.  I anchored the square by quilting the frame first, which worked fine in the other three squares but for the pink it was a bad idea.  Instead of stopping I was convinced it would be fine if I just kept going, it wasn't.  In the end I took it all out and re-quilted the pink square before quilting the frame.

Faux Hare Fair
The reason I'm blogging about this quilt now is because it was not accepted for publication in Curated Quilts Issue 3.  I'm perfectly fine with that.  I currently have a pattern in Curated Quilts Issue 2: Log Cabins and part of getting designs accepted is having others not accepted.  I thought about submitting it to another magazine but now I'm thinking of offering it as a free pattern at some time in 2018.

I did, however, receive notification that the quilt I made for the Curated Quilts mini challenge was accepted!  There is also a chance that the folks at Curated Quilts will choose this mini to hang in their booth at QuiltCon... we'll see.  In addition to my mini another member of my local guild had her mini accepted too!  I really enjoy the Curated Quilt challenges as a way to explore different quilting themes.

Typewriter Ribbon
I hope I've encourage some people to submit their work for publication or in shows.  I know it's not for everyone but if it is something you have been considering, go for it!  Not all my quilts or designs are accepted and rejection is just another part of the process.  My one caution is not submitting a quilt that you are attached to emotionally.  In that case a rejection may be too personal but if it's something your proud of and want to share submit away.











 





"Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." Gal 5:1

Comments