The Creativity Project & A Collaboration

A couple months ago Kim Soper, Leland Ave Studios, ask to interview me for her Creativity Project and I couldn't be more honored to be included among such a talented group of quilters and artists.


http://www.lelandavestudios.com/2018/05/03/the-creativity-project-week-18-heather-black/


 Reading these interviews has been so amazing and getting to know some of my favorite quilters creative process and inspiration has been so great.


http://www.lelandavestudios.com/2018/05/03/the-creativity-project-week-18-heather-black/


I want to encourage you to go back through and read any interviews you may have missed and check out Kim's work.  Her quilts are beautiful and her Lincoln quilt is one of my all time favorites.


______________________________________________________________



I can't believe it's been almost a month since I've posted on my blog, that is not my intention at all, but I have been busy.  I made 4 quilts in 4 weeks and fortunately I can finally, fully, share one of them!  Pearl Pendants!

Pearl Pendants

This quilt is a collaboration between Christa Watson and myself.  This pattern features Christa's new fabric line Fandagle by Benartex and is available for pre-order on her site, Christa Quilts.  Using Christa's inspiration for the fabrics I created a design featuring a collections of pearl pendants.  The shape of each pendant is similar to a pendant I got at Whaler's Village on Maui while on vacation.

 


I love how all the warm and cool colors in Christa's line work together so effortlessly.  I'm so pleased with how this quilt turned out.  It also gave me another opportunity to get better acquainted with my Gammill.




Definitely less hiccups this time around then I had with my first quilt but I'm still struggling with thread.   On this quilt I tried out polyester thread and was exactly pleased with it.  I had a couple thread breakages and a few spot on the back where the thread frayed.  It's probably me but so far I've had the best luck with Aurifil 40 wt / 3 ply.  I decided to stick with the Aurifil from here on out and bought a few cones to have on hand.

 


The pattern, also, looks great in a calming solids color palette.  After the full release the pattern will be available for purchase in my etsy and craftsy shops.  I've been quitely adding pattern for purchase and hope to have a total of 12 patterns available in my shop by the end of the year.  The new patterns are Summer Sunset and Faux Hare Fair.



https://www.etsy.com/listing/592733234/faux-hare-fair-quilt-pattern-by-heather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Faux%20Hare%20Fair&ref=sr_gallery-1-1
https://www.etsy.com/listing/606313557/summer-sunset-quilt-pattern-by-heather?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Summer%20Sunset%20quilt&ref=sr_gallery-1-1


I'll have another secret sew project to share come Tuesday and I'm still planning on entering a quilt for the Pantone Color of the Year Challenge due May 11th.  Time to sew!!!












"Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens, you who have done great things.  Who is like you, God?  Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up."  Psalm 71:19-20

Comments