Pantone Quilt Challenge 2018 - Ultra Violet

It never rains but it pours or in other words, back to back postings!  

I had just enough time after all my deadline sewing to finish a quilt for this year's Pantone Quilt Challenge hosted by Rebecca Bryan, Bryan House Quilts, and Sarah Elizabeth Sharp, No Hats in the House.  

Fringe Area Quilt

The Pantone color of the year this year is Ultra Violet and challenge requires you use the color of the year as the feature color on your quilt.

 

I had this design sitting in a folder all in pink and a friend suggested I change it to purple for the challenge, which was perfect.  Even the orange worked.

Original Design

I think, visually, my favorite quilting is 1/2" horizontal lines and I wanted to use them on this quilt but I added a slight deviation.  I'm completely in love with the effect and will definitely be using this quilting motif in the future.

Fringe Area Quilting Design

Of course I'm still loving my Gammill Statler Stitcher.  I really enjoy designing on the computer and applying that design to the quilt.  I really see this as another layer of design and creativity.

Fringe Area Quilt - Gammill Statler Stitcher

I think I've found my longarm thread of choice, Aurifil 40 wt 3 ply.  I know what to expect from a 40 wt 100% cotton thread and I already have so much Aurifil I'm glad it's working well for me.

Fringe Area Quilt - Aurifil Thread

I use to be really good at taking pictures of the back of my quilts but I remembered to do it this time.  I used a Cotton and Steel print from Melody Miller's Kicks fabric line for the backing and a Kona Cotton from the front.

Fringe Area Quilt - Cotton and Steel Backing

Most of my African Violets are in bloom right now and while taking photos I noticed they matched perfectly with my Fringe Area quilt.  I decided on the name Fringe Area because ultra violet light is just on the edge of the visual spectrum but now I'm thinking something to do with African violets would have worked just as well.


I really like this challenge and am already looking forward to next year's color!  In the mean time you can check out last year's entry for the Challenge, Focus Frame.

2
Focus Frame Quilt

Don't forget that you have until the end of the day Friday to leave a comment on my post about the new fabric line Printology and my Reflecting Pools quilt and be entered in a drawing for a fat quarter bundle of 8-10 Printology prints from Benartex.

Reflecting Pools Quilt
I think I see a some Ultra Violet in Printology!!















"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
 Matt 5:16

Comments