The End of an Era

I'm so happy to share that my Diamonds on Display quilt is available as a pattern in the July/August issue of Modern Patchwork!!

Diamonds on Display

I discovered that I design quilts for publication differently than quilts for the sake of creativity.  I like having patterns that are approachable, easily customized, and have ample opportunity of quilting creativity and I've notice when I'm designing quilts for myself I don't shy away from multiple step blocks and complicated layouts.  I'm sure there are a few reasons for this but I think the main reason is the hope that people will enjoy making the the pattern and try to add their own creative signature to the design.  To me, an overly complicated design doesn't leave much room for tweaking but a design like Diamonds on Display leaves room for the quilter to shine through.

Diamonds on Display

Diamonds on Display is the last full sized quilt I completed on my domestic machine before I started using my longarm.  At the time I was really frustrated because I started quilting this before my longarm arrived and was mid quilt when my longarm was delivered.  As my walking foot chugged along I couldn't help but think how easy this motif would be on my longarm.  I still quilt small projects on my domestic machine but this is definitely the last large quilt I will do on my domestic machine.  I am very happy with the quilting and the overall look of this quilt.  If you get a chance I recommend picking up a copy of the most recent Modern Patchwork.


July/August Modern Patchwork

I also took a dive into improv piecing recently.  I had three projects to improv and all were all small, thankfully. My brain hurt and I wasn't sure I was going to finish but I survived, just barely.   One of the projects is my entry into the quarter's Curated Quilts mini quilt challenge.

Curated Quilt Challenge Mini
I'm not ashamed to say improv is difficult for me.  I do admire improv designs more than straight piecing, maybe because it is so hard for me, but every time I improv it's a struggle.  I suppose it's like most things, it'll get easier with practice.














"For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.  It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good." Titus 2:11-14

Comments

  1. Is there a way of purchasing the pattern as the magazine is not a available where I live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is available on my website, quiltachusetts.com

      Delete

Post a Comment