Good News - Sad News - Good News

I'll start with the good news. Out this month is my Dockside quilt pattern in the Nov/Dec issue of Modern Patchwork, available for purchase here.

Dockside

I designed this quilt in the summer when a quick trip to Sullivan Lake sounded so nice.  I used flying geese facing different directions to create motion and that outdoor-Pacific Northwest-camping feel.

Dockside

For this quilt I used Hoffman Fabrics Me and You Indah Solids.  I love the hand dyed feel of these solids.  They come in a variety of beautiful colors and are so easy to work with.

Dockside - Indah Solids

When I quilted this I wanted to keep it simple so I chose horizontal straight lines, of course, but added a little "v" corresponding to the direction the column of flying geese were pointing.  I love the subtle movement in the quilting.

Dockside - Quilting

Now for the sad news.  The Nov/Dec issue of Modern Patchwork will be their last.  I'm so sad for all the great people working on that magazine and the loss to the modern quilting community.  Modern Patchwork was a great magazine to work with, everyone was so encouraging and friendly.  It also gave so many new modern quilt designers and pattern writers opportunity to share their work.  I'm so thankful to Modern Patchwork for publishing so many of my designs and so grateful to everyone I interacted with and all their encouragement.

Nov/Dec 2018

More good news.  I found out last night that my quilt, Faux Hare Fair, won a second place award in the modern category at the Quilts & Fiber Arts Festival in Everett, WA!

Faux Hare Fair

This is one of my all time favorites, I love minimalism.  This is one of my last walking foot quilts, being completed in Dec 2017, and I even took out all the pink box quilting and redid it.  ripping out quilting is the worse but I'm very happy I did it now.

Faux Hare Fair - 2nd Place

The actual award look really cool I can't tell what it's made of exactly, but it'll be interesting to see in person.

Winners

I couldn't make it to the show and I am very grateful to Don Wattam (@drgriz) for the pictures.  He and Matt Macomber (@odditease) were the other winners in the modern category.  It's a huge honor to have a quilt honored along side theirs.  Both are amazing modern quilters.

The next quilt show is WSQ show here in Spokane.  I entered 5 quilts, I'm not quite sure how that happened because I was only going to enter 4, but I am looking forward to the show.













"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.  By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible." Heb 11:1

Comments