Festoons from Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes

Now that I'm back from QuiltCon I thought it would be a good time to share my Festoons quilt from Daisy and my book, Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes.

Festoons Quilt


Along with the quilt I'm also excited to share that my quilty friend Alyce Blyth, Blossom Heart Quilts, wrote up a review of the book and posted it on her blog.  I really appreciate the time Alyce took to go over the book and share her impressions.

http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/2020/02/quilt-modern-curves-bold-stripes-book-review/
 Alyce also has a book out, Mini Masterpieces!  I love how cheerful all the projects are.  I hope everyone take a moment to check out the review on Alyce's site and her book.

Festoons Quilt


When I designed this quilt I was thinking of a late 19th century church picnic, think Polyanna or Anne of Green Gables, and I wanted to use bright colors and vertical lines in both the design and the quilting.  I even improv pieced the festoon block inner half circles too give the design more motion and playfulness.

Festoons Quilt


I used several different thread colors for the quilting to recreate the feel of a parlor's wallpaper or the sense of color in the background and moving by like at a picnic or fair.

Festoons Printed Stripes


I made both a improv pieced stripe version on Festoons along with a printed stripe version.  I chose a print that mimics a stripe for the center half circles so it could still have the movement of an improv stripe.  When I quilted the this version I added clam shells to background to add to the party feel.

Festoons at QuiltCon


 Festoons is one of my favs from the book and I only recently got it back from QuiltCon!






"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."  Deut 6:6-7

Comments

  1. This is so pretty and cheerful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see this in person at QuiltCon. In fact, I have a picture of you standing with it! You know, I can identify your quilts now, without looking at a tag beside them. Your design style is distinctive. Graphic. I'm a big fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, that is such a huge compliment. As a designer it means so much to hear that I've found my unique creative voice.

      Delete
  3. This is a favorite! I especially love the one with inprov stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! I'm going to have to mix more improv with curve piecing in the future!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Vivian!! It's definitely one of my favorites from the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I baught your book Modern quilts and bold stripes because i liked the patterns very much. I also baught the classic curve ruler. But I have som problems. Can I make the arc with that ruler, and if I want to change size, how can I do that? The smallest convex is 4 inch, and I think it is problematic to combine the paperpatterns in the book and the ruler. Hope you understand what I mean and can give me some advices.
    Best wishes, Elin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elin,

      You are correct the Classic Curve Ruler is not compatible with the Festoon quilt pattern. If you are interested in a compatible acrylic template set please use Jeny Haynes' (@pappersaxsten) Double Drunkard's Path template set. While none of the patterns in the book are made for a specific template many will work with sets available from other quilters with slight modifications to the fabric requirements, see specific template instructions for more details. Daisy and I often use the Classic Curve Ruler, Jen Carlton Bailey's Quarter Circle template set and Jenny Haynes' Double Drunkard's Path templates for our quilt. I hope that helps. Heather

      Delete

Post a Comment