Pinball Wizard Block from Patchwork & Quilting Basics

When I was at Fall Quilt Market I got a chance to preview my friend's new book New Patchwork & Quilting Basics: A Handbook for Beginners by Jo Avery and was completely taken by the concept and beautiful projects in the book.  When Jo asked me if I'd review the book I jumped at the opportunity to take a closer look at her inspiring book.

Pinball Wizard Mini Quilt

As I went through the book I knew as soon as I saw Jo's Pinball Wizard quilt that I'd have to try making a block from that design to share.

Pinball Wizard by Jo Avery

It is such a great design and my block came together so fast.  I started by selecting the fabrics I wanted and tracing the templates for paper piecing.  I wanted my Pinball Wizard block to have a fresh spring color palette with a mix of solids and prints.



This is the perfect project for a beginner paper piecer or a more advanced quilter looking for a fast make with plenty of impact.  It came together quickly and gave me a great idea for improve pieced curves that I will use later.

Pinball Wizard Mini

Since the feel of my block/mini quilt was more free form I went with an uneven grid for the background quilting and echoed the shape of the wedges when quilting the pieced arcs.  I used Aurifil 40 wt thread in a light grey to quilt my mini.  The color blended perfectly.

Pinball Wizard Mini Quilt - quilting

I love the quilting by Tatyana Duffie for Jo's Pinball Wizard Quilt and the color palette is so vibrant and fun.  All throughout the book Jo have projects that are inspiring and her patterns are well written and easy to follow.  I was really tempted by several, like her Dancing Pandas quilt, but Pinball Wizard was meant for me.

Pinball Wizard Quilt by Jo Avery Quilted by Tatyana Duffie

I had so much fun looking through Jo's book and making my Pinball Wizard block into a mini quilt.  I haven't done too many pieced arcs but following the instructions gave me the confidence to complete my block and mini quilt.  Jo's book is available for purchase now, I got my copy from Amazon.  Jo offered me a promotional pdf version but she didn't know that I had pre-ordered a copy when I saw it at Fall Market, and I'm so glad I did I love having a hard copy around my sewing space.


Patchwork & Quilting Basics by Jo Avery






"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

Comments

  1. Your review and quilt were so inspiring that I ordered Jo's book immediately!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment