Simply Moderne Issue No. 23 Featuring Linked

I have another behind the scenes project that I can finally share.  I made my Linked quilt this summer and  immediately shipped it off to France to be featured in the current issue of Simply Moderne!  I love how they styled my quilt in this picture.  It makes me wish I had a little nook in my house to setup this exact scene.

 

Linked by Heather Black
 

I am shocked and honored that not only is Linked a pattern in the magazine but it is also on the cover!  I really enjoy Simply Moderne magazine and couldn't be more thrilled to have a quilt on the cover of the magazine.

Simply Moderne Cover

When I began designing this quilt I really started with the idea of using black and white stripes to transition between different colors and then came up with the chain link shape.  I used one of my favorite color palettes, a mix of soft pastels and more saturated colors to add interest and depth to the design.  When I quilted the top I didn't want to do anything to disrupt the look of stripes and color transitions so I quilted vertical strips in the links with a varying frequency and a uniform horizontal stripe in the background.


Linked by Heather Black

Issue No. 23 is out now and available in print or as a digital download.  It's filled with great quilts, my Linked quilt pattern and also an article written by me on curve piecing.  I go over how to tackle curves by getting past any fears and approaching sewing curves with a step by step process.

 

Curve Piecing Tools

My niece, Clara, agreed to be my hand model for the pictures in the article.  I am very thankful to her, I don't think I could have managed some of the pictures without her, like the one below and another of her pressing the seams open.  She was a natural and did a fabulous job, especially since she's not a quilter.


Sewing Curves


I hope everyone will get a chance to pick up an issue and look through the projects along with my Linked quilt and curve piecing article.



 

 

"Sing to the Lord, all the earth; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.  Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples." 1 Chronicles 16:23-24

Comments

  1. Beautiful design and a cover quilt as well! Congratulations ! It is lovely, fresh and colorful. You must be thrilled .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes it's so exciting and such a honor to be on the cover. I really like working with the people at Quiltmania they are all so friendly and professional.

      Delete
  2. Yes, your quilt certainly is fabulous! And yes, it looks amazing on the cover. Not many of us (no one I know!) would ever have a pink sofa for a styled shot. :-) When my quilting book was written, back in 2009, a college girl was hired as a hand model. She knew nothing about quiltmaking either. I guess age spots aren't considered fashionable! (ha, ha). Congratulations on being a cover girl. Everything you touch these days is magically and modern. It's wonderful to see how you've progressed in your quiltmaking efforts. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment