Road Trip!

I had some free time to design and make a quilt for the sake of making a quilt and here it is, my Road Trip quilt!

Road Trip Quilt

I didn't design this quilt with any specific inspiration but when I was done it instantly reminded me of looking out a car window and the 100's, in not 1000's, of hours I've spend in the car looking as the scenery pass by.  I initially wanted to name the quilt Relative Velocity and settled on Road Trip.

Road Trip Quilt

Almost every summer as a kid my family would take a road trip, usually with our tent trailer in tow.  We traveled all over the Pacific Northwest.  When I was a bit older we took trips as far north as Edmonton, Alberta and south to San Jose, CA.  After I graduated from high school my parents drove me to my sophomore year of college in Grove City, PA and after my senior year back home.  My mother and I drove up the east coast and home from Denver, Co.  Stephen and I drove from eastern PA home to Spokane and as recently as this summer my parents and I took CoraJoan on a road trip to Rapid City, via Yellowstone.

Road Trip Quilt

I've been all over the United States by automobile and the beauty of my country never ceases to amaze me.  I feel more connected to my nation for having seen so much of it in person and encourage all those who are able to to take at least one good road trip around their country.

Road Trip Quilting

I really do love this quilt mostly for the smile I get when I see it and even though I love this quilt I did have some difficulties while make it.  I used all stash fabric so I had to compromise on some of my color choices but worse of all my longarm needed maintenance right after I started quilting.  I took a partially quilted top off my machine and reloaded once my longarm was tuned up.

 

 Even though there were a few bumbs along the way it was a fun quilt to make!



In closing I wanted to mention that my quilty friend Karen Burns (@warpedspinster) has a new SkillShare class: Design a Bold Modern Quilt.  This class guides quilters through making their first modern quilt and in part for of the class she discusses modern quilting styles and features some of my quilts!  I hope people will check it out.

 














"These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you." John 15:11-14

Comments

  1. Very very cool - I can see the imagery in your symbols and how they would apply to different scenes outside of a car window - super job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen!! It's definitely one of my favs this year.

      Delete
  2. Very fun design and I love the memories it provides for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! It is fun to have that added extra meaning for this quilt.

      Delete

Post a Comment