How I Fared at the Fair

Since 2015 I've been entering quilts in the Spokane Interstate Fair.  The first quilt I entered was my Paris Medallion quilt followed by many others with varying results: Mountain Scene, Scandinavian Pathways, Lost in Oz mini, Diamonds on Display, Modern Stepping Stones Mini.  This year I entered my Palm Fronds quilt and am very pleased with the results.

Palm Fronds
I finished this quilt over the summer and was so excited when my friend sent me a picture of my quilt at the fair with a special award ribbon!!  Fall has definitely come to Spokane and with the rainy weather I wasn't able to get the fair and check out my quilt until yesterday.

Palm Fronds - Spokane Interstate Fair

The Spokane Interstate Fair uses a Danish judging system so each quilt meeting a highest standard will get a blue ribbon, next highest red and next white and finally if the standard isn't met then no ribbon.

Palm Fronds - Award

Along with blue, red and white ribbons the fair and local guilds will give out special awards.  This year there were only 4 special awards, two given by the fair and two by the Inland Northwest Machine Quilters guild here in the Spokane Area.  My quilt won Best in Show Machine Quilting!!

Pam Fronds - Quilting

I quilted Palm Fronds using background textures to mimic how dense tropical foliage can be and the horizontal lines represent a stream or waterfall.  I wanted the green sections to look like palm leaves that are wrapping around a bloom.  All of the quilting was done on my longarm and I even designed a ribbon candy just for the project.

Palm Fronds

Palm Fronds is one of my favorite makes this year, I actually designed it almost two years ago in Hawaii.  I've entered this design in QuiltCon but those notifications won't go out until December.

Bird Watching - Spokane Fair

I also enter my Bird Watching quilt and am very pleased that it also received a blue ribbon but in true Spokane Fair fashion it was fold in quarters lengthwise and place on a table.  I noticed that there wasn't as much floor space dedicated to quilts this year and maybe that's why the fair only had 2 special awards, in years past they have had 5.  I hope that next year to get some of my modern quilting friends to enter into the fair it really is a great way to test the judge quilt show waters.







"Finally, all of you be of one mind, having compassion for one another; love as brothers, be tenderhearted, be courteous; not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing." 1 Pet 3:8-9


Comments

  1. Congrats on your ribbons! Very interesting about the folding of the quilts tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! I know, they do that each year. The way they set it up there are only a few hanging then some are on dividers between tables and all the others are folded on tables, oh and some are hung in the rafters, which has happen to me before. they have ton of space but I guess it's how they've decided to do it. I remember going to the fair as a little girl and seeing a quilt hanging at the entrance so it's sad to see less and less space for the quilts each year.

      Delete
  2. Entering a quilt to the fair is on my wishlist for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment