Exhibits and Quilt Shows

This summer I was asked by AccuQuilt if I would like to loan them about a dozen quilts for a special exhibit at their headquarters in Omaha, Nebraska.  I was so shocked and honored that they thought of me for their exhibit and instantly agreed.

AccuQuilt Exhibit Featuring Quilts by Heather Black

I tried to pick quilts that were a good example of both my minimal work and block based modern designs.  I even included some of my book samples that have never been publicly displayed before.  The exhibit is by appointment and free admission.  So if you are in Omaha Nebraska and would like to see a sampling of my quilts don't hesitate to call and setup an appointment to view the exhibit.

AccuQuilt Exhibit Featuring Quilts by Heather Black

I've really enjoyed working with AccuQuilt both in compiling the exhibit and for the Infrastructure quilt along.  Everyone was so friendly and helpful.  The exhibit will be hanging at the AccuQuilt headquarters through February 2020 and I hope those of you who can make it will.  I'd love to hear from any of you that get the chance to check it out.

QuiltCon 2020 Entries

Just like that QuiltCon entries have closed and now the 3 week wait for acceptance/rejection emails begins.   I entered 9 quilts this year.  My goal was to enter 6 so I'm not sure how I got up to 9 but it is what it is.  I actually know that 2 of my quilts, Banner Day and a secret project, will be in the judged portion of the show and 1 of my quilts, Petal Patch, is part of the Quilt of the Month showcase.  You are only allowed to have 5 quilts in the show so depending if the jury counts Petal Patch as part of the 5 I could have up to 2 or 3 more quilts in the show but nothing is a given.

Banner Day Quilt by Heather Black

Banner Day was part of the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase and automatically accepted to QuiltCon since it had not been in the show before.

Secret Sew Project

My second quilt that will be in the judge portion of the show will also be featured in a magazine around the same time so I can't currently share more.

Petal Patch Quilt by Heather Black (photo provided by the MQG)

Finally, my Petal Patch quilt will be in the showcase and like I said above if it is not included as part of the maximum 5 quilts you can have in the show I might have as many as 3 more quilts in the show or I may have no more than these in the show.  December is definitely an exciting time and I know I'll be checking every email that comes in as we closer to the notification date.

Urban Trek quilt (left) & Why Knot quilt (right) both by Heather Black


To wrap up I wanted to share the judges notes I received for the quilts I had in the judge portion of the International Quilt Festival quilt show.  It was nice to receive some kind comments about my work after the judge at for the Washington State Quilter's show was so obviously not a fan.

Urban Trek didn't receive any personal comments from the judge but it received 20 satisfactory marks and 7 pluses from the three judges.  One of the judges also checked that it "Stood up well against strong competition."  Some of the other best features checked included "Accurately pieced." "Well balanced design" and "Pleasing overall appearance.  The only suggestion for improvement Urban Trek received was "More quilting."  Urban Trek was quilted on my domestic machine and was definitely the limit of my equipment and skill that kept me from adding more quilting.

Why Knot also did not receive any personal comments but it did receive 18 satisfactory marks and 9 pluses from the judges.  Some of the best features noted by the judges include, "Creative use of pattern," "Accurately pieced," "Bindings full and well-applied," "Good choice of quilting design & style," "Excellent fabric choices," "Well balanced design" and "Pleasing overall appearance."  The one suggestion Why Knot received was "Quilt should lay flat."

This is the first time I've had quilts in the judged portion of the IQF so I don't know if these marks are good, bad or average but overall I'm pleased with them.  It's nice to have some direction for improvement.








"Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."" John 8:12

Comments

  1. Pretty cool about your AccuQuilt exhibit! AND that you already know you'll have some quilts at QC! Year #2 of QC, I got one in via the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase - pretty cool, it's two shows in one. ;-) Also interesting about the judge that said 'more quilting' - I guess it depends on the quilt. The one I'm working on now feels a little sparse compared to what I usually do, but the scale seems just right for the quilt design, so I'll let it go at that. Of course it's all relative and subjective....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it that way but definitely two shows in one. I've received not enough quilting comments before but I agree sometimes more quilting is just more not better. Some show have requirements like the quilting can't be more than 1" apart, I think MQX has that requirement. The funny part is Why Knot has some pretty "wide" quilting in the arc and it didn't' receive that comment so it might have been one of those comments that they through in just to have some feedback.

      Delete
  2. I'll have my fingers crossed that you have the maximum number of quilts allowed entered into the show!! Love what quilting I could see on your mystery quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'm really curious to see which make it and which don't.

      Delete

Post a Comment