My First Book!

It's been a long time in the making but I can finally offer my first book for pre-order on my website, quiltachusetts.com, and my Etsy shop!  My book with Daisy Aschehoug, warmfolk, Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes is set to release Jan 7th, 2020!  All pre-ordered books from quiltachusetts.com, or my Etsy shop will be signed by me and shipped out as soon as the book is in stock on or around Jan 7th, 2020.

Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes Book by Heather Black and Daisy Aschehoug

Daisy and I began our book writing journey back at QuiltCon 2018 when we met up and Daisy said she thought we should do a book.  I followed up by introducing myself to the development editor at C&T publishing with hopes of getting a name and card to email after QuiltCon.   On the same day I was going to send a followup email to C&T the development editor contacted me and we set about working on a book proposal.  Those first few months were such a whirlwind that it's hard to believe it's almost been 2 years.


Projects by Heather Black in Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes

Daisy and I both frequently use stripes and curves in our quilt designs and wanted to share with other quilters how easy it is to spice up your quilts with a few stripes.  There are a total of 15 projects in the book and each project has instructions for piecing your own stripes or using a printed striped fabric.

Projects by Daisy Aschehoug in Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes


Along with the 15 projects varying in size from crib to twin, we have included detail instruction for several different cutting and curve piecing techniques.  There is even a section on how to pick fabrics for stripes.  This is definitely more than a just project book and suitable for all skill levels.  Whether you are looking to learn curve piecing or if you want to experiment with curves there is a project for everyone.

Quilt Modern Curves & Bold Stripes book samples

I also wanted to take a moment and share what I've been up to the past month or so.  I know that I haven't been sharing as many new finished projects as I usually do the last couple months or so and that's because I've been wrapping up the first draft of my second book!  Yep, with the release of my first book only about a month away I'm excited to share that I'll have a second book out in another 14 months.  I can't share any more details than too say it's not like the first.  It feels good to have the first draft done but there is still more to do before the publisher takes it over.  I'm hoping I find time to finish one more quilt before the year is over.  I'm thinking this one needs to be made and it has a nice wintery feel to it:

Lumen








Now there were in the same country shepherds living out in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid. Then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger."  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying:  "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!" Luke 2:8-14

Comments

  1. Congratulations, Heather! How exciting to also be so far along on your second book as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne. I spent all of November writing. I enjoyed writing but now it's time to start making again.

      Delete
  2. I was thinking exactly what Yvonne said! Yahoo. Congratulations on both books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie!! I'm super excited about the second book. It's more of a "technique" book than project so I really hope people will be inspired to make original work from it.

      Delete
  3. Heather this looks like a beautiful book with so much inspiration. Your quilts are outstanding and you have been very busy. You should be very proud of this. Lovely. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin!! I'm glad I've gotten the first draft of the second book turned in I'm hoping to get a one more quilt made by the end of the year.

      Delete
  4. WOOOHOOOO!!! This looks like a really fabulous book...drooling over the quilts!!! Congratulations on TWO books...you are simply amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too tempting...I ordered it!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!! I hope you enjoy the book. More than just the projects I hope it will inspire people to experiment with curves in their own quilts.

      Delete
  5. Yay Heather! I am going to put in a pre-Order now! So excited for you. I just love that photo of all the sample quilts piled up. What a pretty sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!! Yay, that's one of my fav too. It's one year's worth of quilts that I squeezed into a 1/3 it a little surreal. Thanks for all your help with the guild while I was a sewing maniac!!

      Delete

Post a Comment