Double Published

While the first part of the year I spent much of the time working on projects, quilts and fabric (wink wink), that I couldn't share, I'm happy to finally show all of you two of those quilts both published!  First up, One Ways in Make Modern Magazine.


 

This quilt is inspired by my 16 year old self's fear of one way streets.  I was convinced that I would go the wrong way down a one way and as a new driver trying to act like a seasoned driver I couldn't imagine anything more embarrassing or terrifying.  Fortunately, I never turned the wrong way down and one way but the impression stuck with me and is now a quilt.



One Ways is currently a pattern in Make Modern Magazine Issue No. 41.  It, appropriately, features my Road Trip fabric line and is available as a kit in my Quiltachusetts shop!

 


I decided the best option for quilting this design was to unify the rows with similar quilting.  The chevrons or arrows vary in size depending on the height of the row but they add a great texture and keep your eye moving throughout the surface of the quilt.

 


I pieced the back of my One Ways quilt using a fabric panel from Road Trip and Road Trip fabric scraps.  I love the look of the back and that the backing turned my One Ways quilt into a two sided quilt.


Next up, my Ingress Egress quilt in QuiltMaker Magazine!



My Ingress Egress quilt is inspired by mountain tunnels and childhood games.  As young kids my sister, brother and I would challenge each other to hold our breath as we traveled through tunnels or snow sheds.  Most of the time it wasn't hard to reach the other side without needing a breath but on those rare occasions where the tunnel was longer than average it was always a good competition.

 

 

Ingress Egress is currently a pattern in the September/October 2021 issue of QuiltMaker.  My good friend and extremely talented quilt designer, Charisma, is also in this issue so it made being published in QuiltMaker even more fun. 

 

 

For the quilting on Ingress Egress I wanted to give the impression of looking into tunnels.  I quilted the arches with a motif that mimicked the look of a stone arch with a keystone.  The inside of the arches are quilted with straight lines in a way to give the illusion of a road leading in or out of the tunnel.  You can see the quilting effect best in the digital rendering below:


 

For Ingress Egress I used a mix of my Sketchbook and Road Trip fabric lines and was so happy to see them blend together so nicely.  I also used my mini Road Trip panels in in a couple of the arches giving a great improv feel without all the work.



I really love how both of these quilts turned out and am grateful for the opportunity to be published in both Make Modern and QuiltMaker magazines





"Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I shall keep it to the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, For I delight in it. Incline my heart to Your testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. Establish Your word to Your servant, who is devoted to fearing You. Turn away my reproach which I dread, for Your judgments are good. Behold, I long for Your precepts; Revive me in Your righteousness.
" Psalm 119:33-40

Comments

  1. Both wonderful quilts worthy of publication! I subscribe to both publications and I am looking forward to getting a closer look to them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment