Just One Charm Pack Quilts - Cat's Eye Quilt

My friend Cheryl recently released a new book, Just One Charm Pack Quilts, and I was so happy that I was given the opportunity to make one make one of the quilts from the book using charm squares, Cat's Eye!

 

I love Cheryl's book because she offers so many great projects for charm packs, which I so frequently buy and don't know what to do with, making it a great way to finally put some of those charm packs to use.

 


Even if you don't have a charm packs laying around Cheryl also has a section on how to quickly and easily make your own charms from width of fabric cuts.  This is the option I chose, mainly because all my charm packs are pack up in a storage unit while my home is being built and I wanted to see how my Road Trip fabric would look cut into 5'' squares.

 

 

I decided to make the the Cat's Eye quilts.  I really needed to make something that would let me relax and enjoy the process of making a quilt after some pretty tight deadlines and I have to admit I love making half square triangles.

 


Cat's Eye has 144 HST in in and I was able to sew and trim all 144 on my time with a smile.  A stack of nicely trimmed HST looks so great and is so rewarding when it comes to sewing your quilt top.



The top came together quickly so I started thinking about the quilting right away.  I knew I wanted to leave the printed fabrics un-quilted to help them standout from the background but picking quilting for the background took a little more thought.



For the white background I decided to quilt a point to point pattern that created a diamonds in that space and in the black background I quilted vertical lines since the print was so busy I knew the quilting wouldn't standout from the fabric.  I'm very pleased with the overall look of the quilt.

 

 

For the backing I used my Flattery panel from the Road Trip fabric.  From the back you can really see my quilting choices.



Cat's Eye is just one of the projects in Cheryl's book, Just One Charm Pack Quilts, there are many many others quilts that are a great way to use up those spare charm packs or even mismatched or left over charm squares.



Cheryl is also hosting a blog hop with many great quilters making different projects from the book, so if you would like to check out even more from her book head on over to Cheryl's blog.



I was so happy with this quilt I gifted it to my daughter just for car rides.  It's the perfect size for our road trips.  It's not to big and she always wanted a quilt in the car.  Finally, I took some pictures with a bear sculpture, by Chris Anderson, at my parent's house and didn't know how to work them into the blog so I'm including them here, it's just too cute.





"To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen." Jude 24-25

Comments

  1. Such a beautiful quilt! I love how your prints look in the design, your quilting, and the photography. Thanks so much for being a part of the hop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for thinking of me. I love the book and am happy to help!

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Heather! I never buy charm packs. In fact, I'm having to cut 5" square to be able to participate in our Central Florida MQG "Chip and Charm" challenge! So it's good for non-charm-pack buyers that Cheryl included a yardage option in her book. Your quilting design is well thought and executed for this quilt. And it's great that your daughter can use it in the car. It's nice to have a little snuggle place when the A/C is too cold, or the weather is wintery. It's interesting that you're building a house now. I have to believe you're encountering shortages, and that it may take longer than normal and be more costly. But hopefully not. That virus just doesn't stop impacting people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes I always get too cold in A/C myself. Just got back from a camping trip and CJ snuggled under her new quilt the whole way there and back, it was the perfect size. I haven't run into any shortage issues yet but I haven't started building. My parents are building right now and haven't had a problems but it does take a little bit of planning ahead since there does seem to be longer lead times for some things. The builder let me know a couple weeks ago that my project is getting moved up a month and will be starting in September instead of October so that will be exciting. I'm sure I'll do a post or two about it.

      Delete
  3. This turned out great in your fabrics. And your quilting - wow!!! Really really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. I was fun to see how the fabrics would look all in 5'' squares. I'm really happy with the final quilt too and it has already been in use on a road trip!

      Delete
  4. I do like your version & oh the bear sculpture is ever so cute & great for quilt photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that the book includes how to cut your own charm packs. Your quilting is stunning.
    I’d say that you have inspired me. Thanks so much for sharing.
    djcutting2(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous to hear. I hope you get the book there really are some amazing projects in there.

      Delete

Post a Comment